Automated Control and Systems Engineering
- Biomedical applications of robotics and control
- Assistive robotics for mobility in disabled and elderly
- Adaptive/intelligent and soft computing techniques for modelling and control
Active noise and vibration control
- Robust design of active control systems, with due consideration of physical extent of cancellation and geometrical arrangement of system components.
- Modelling, simulation and control of flexible and hybrid flexible/rigid manoeuvring systems.
- Modelling, simulation and control of 1D and 2D flexible structures.
Adaptive/intelligent and soft computing, modelling and control
- Development of new bio-inspired and nature-inspired optimisation algorithms. These include based on evolutionary algorithms, swarm intelligence (particle swarm, ant colony, firefly, bat colony, bacterial foraging and artificial immune system), spiral dynamics.
- Adaptive/intelligent methods based on combined capabilities of neural networks, fuzzy logic and bio-inspired/nature-inspired optimisation approaches.
- Generic approaches for model-based and non-model-based control system design.
- Optimisation techniques for structural design of soft-computing paradigms.
- Assistive techniques for mobility of disabled and the elderly.
- Muscle and joint modelling techniques.
- Intelligent techniques for gait restoration in paraplegia.
- Robotic and functional electrical stimulation-assisted mechanisms for exercise, with benefits of rehabilitation, for paraplegia. These include rowing, cycling, treadmill walking, sit-to-stand manoeuvres, etc.
- Intelligent orthotic systems for mobility, manipulation & grasping for elderly and disabled in support of ambient assisted living
- Mobile service robotic systems for use in industrial and domestic applications.
High-performance architectures for real-time signal processing and control
- Code optimisation for efficient implementation of signal processing and control algorithms.
- Digital signal processing and parallel processing for real-time control applications.
- Heterogeneous architectures for parallel real-time control.
- Intelligent embedded Internet for dynamic monitoring and control.
- Performance evaluation and design tools for heterogeneous parallel architectures