Senior Research Fellow
- Medical text and data mining
- Intelligent Personalised Support
- Health informatics
I am a computer scientist specialising in health informatics. I originally trained and worked as a hospital Biomedical Scientist before working as a software development manager in the NHS, and then studying for a PhD at the University of Sheffield.
I lead life science related work for GATE, a widely used tool for large-scale text and data mining. It is used in the life sciences by medical record software companies, hospitals, pharmaceutical companies, genetics researchers, and many others.
My research covers a broad range of topics, including: consumer health information, social media, mobile health and devices, the electronic health record. I am especially interested in the deployment of computer technology in real-world settings, and the challenges that this raises.
Current Research Projects:
- Principal Investigator – KConnect – Search technologies for medical information, 2015 – 2017 [EC Horizon 2020 €338 638]
- Sub-contractor – Text mining services for the NIHR Biomedical Research Centre for Mental Health, 2016 – 2021 [South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust £150 000]
- Principal Investigator – OpenMinTeD Text and data mining infrastructure, 2015 – 2018 [EC Horizon 2020 €506 250]
- Sub-contractor – E-HOST-IT – Electronic health records to predict hospitalised suicide attempts: Targeting Information Technology solutions, 2014 – 2019 [£37 500 sub-contract to support Dr. Rina Dutta, KCL]
- Sub-contractor – E-CHASM – Ethnicity and Cardiovascular Health inequalities in Severe Mental illness 2015 – 2018 [£45 000 sub-contract to support Dr. Jayati Das-Munshi, KCL]